Dunlop is a model of tire initially produced by the Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Firm from the top of the 19th century, taking its identify from John Boyd Dunlop. The model is used for a lot of different merchandise made out of rubber or with rubber parts and a few with a looser connection to rubber.
Possession of the model has turn out to be fragmented over time. Three fundamental occasions contributed to this fragmentation:
- in 1899, the Dunlop firm offered its Australian department. In consequence, Dunlop Australia acquired the rights to the model in Australia.
- in 1985, Dunlop Rubber offered the rights to the Dunlop model of vehicle tyre, following a number of unhealthy enterprise selections, together with a disastrous three way partnership with Pirelli the place Dunlop unwittingly took duty for vital money owed.
- between 1996 and 1998, BTR plc (which acquired Dunlop Rubber in 1985) offered a lot of corporations which used the Dunlop model for his or her merchandise.
The Dunlop model at present
At present, the Dunlop model and brand (sporting and manufacturing) is essentially reunified beneath the last word possession of Mike Ashley (of Sports activities Direct fame). Many corporations producing merchandise bearing the D Gadget (flying D) have a protracted historic affiliation and solely these could presumably incorporate the phrase Dunlop of their buying and selling identify.
It’s amongst different issues used for these merchandise:
- Dunlop Tyres and Dunlop Tires:
- owned in Europe and North America by Goodyear Dunlop Tires Europe and North America, joint ventures 75% owned by Goodyear and 25% by Sumitomo Rubber Industries (the results of a 1999 deal)
- owned 100% by Goodyear in Australia (the results of offers in 1987 and 2006 with Dunlop Australia)
- owned by Sumitomo in Asia (the results of the acquisition from Dunlop Rubber in 1985), aside from Malaysia, Singapore & Brunei, the place the model is owned by Continental AG
- owned by Sumitomo in Africa (the results of an acquisition in 2013 from Apollo Tyres of India, which had acquired the model rights from BTR in 1998)
- owned in India by the Ruia Group (the results of the sale of Dunlop India in 1984 to the Jumbo Group, which offered it on in 2005)
- Dunlop Storage Gear, a subsidiary storage tools producer, owned by Gemco, supplying car servicing tools for automobiles and business automobiles, based mostly in Mytholmroyd, England.
- Dunlop Plane Tyres, an unbiased firm in Birmingham, England (offered by BTR in 1996; 75% of the corporate is at present owned by AAC Capital Companions)
- Dunlop Aerospace, together with Dunlop Gear and Dunlop Precision Rubber, owned by Meggitt plc (the results of a sale by BTR in 1998)
- Dunlop Adhesives, a model of tile adhesive and grouting, owned by Ardex GmbH (the results of a sale by BTR in 1996)
- Dunlop Industries of Kenya, who produce PVC flooring tiles (offered by BTR in 1996)
- Dunlop Protecting Footwear, a model of waterproof footwear and security boots, owned by the Dutch firm Hevea, which acquired the model in 1996.
Within the US and Canada, the rights to the Dunlop model are actually owned by a three way partnership firm owned by Sports activities Direct and Sumitomo
- Dunlopillo, a model of mattress and latex foam for furnishings, owned within the UK by Steinhoff Worldwide, acquired in 2013 from Hilding Anders, which owns the model in Scandinavia. Elsewhere it was owned by Dunlop Latex Foam Ltd (offered by BTR in 1997) and now by a number of corporations together with the Pikolin group. They’re additionally working in asia nations like Malaysia, China, Hong Kong, Singapore and Vietnam.
- Dunlop Conveyor Belting, a part of Fenner Dunlop Conveyor Belting Worldwide, offering a spread of conveyor belt techniques
- Dunlop Extrusions, a model of rubber extrusions owned by an unbiased firm in Manchester, England
- Dunlop Fabrications, a model of versatile gasoline and water tanks owned by Trelleborg AB of Sweden
- Dunlop Hiflex, a model of hydraulic hoses and pipes
- Dunlop Oil & Marine, a model of rubber hose for marine use, owned by Continental AG of Germany
- Dunlop Rubber Mouldings, owned by Dunlop Industrial Merchandise, a South African firm offered by BTR in 1998
- Dunlop Methods & Parts, an unbiased firm borne of a administration buyout from Trelleborg AB in 2007, who in flip had bought the enterprise as a part of a set of corporations from BTR Seibe (which subsequently turned Invensys – Till just lately they owned a considerable historic catalogue of Trademark rights pertaining to make use of of the Dunlop/D Gadget within the manufacturing area). Based mostly in Coventry, England, manufacturing rubber full air struts, air springs, and bellows, ECAS (ElecronicallyControlled Air Suspension) air suspension parts comparable to compressors and valve blocks and in addition proudly owning the rights to automotive anti-vibration techniques.
Sports activities tools
- Dunlop Sport, a model of golf and tennis tools, sporting footwear and different merchandise
- in Australia and New Zealand owned by Pacific Manufacturers, offered by Pacific Dunlop (previously Dunlop Australia) in 2001
- in Japan, Taiwan and Korea owned by SRI Sports activities Restricted (a subsidiary of Sumitomo), acquired as a part of Dunlop Japan in 1963
- in america, owned by DNA (Housemarks) Restricted, a three way partnership firm owned by Sports activities Direct and SRI USA, Inc (a subsidiary of Sumitomo).
- in the remainder of the world rights to the model are owned by Sports activities Direct on account of the acquisition of Dunlop Slazenger from Cinven in 2004.
- Trademark Lawyer – Federal Court docket – Dunlop plane tyres, Dunlop Plane Tyres Restricted v The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Firm  FCA 1014 (11 July 2018)
- Manufacturers on Sumitono web site, 14 Aug 2020
- About on Dunlop Tyres Malaysia, 19 Nov 2019
- Historical past of Pacific Dunlop
- Sumitomo Rubber completes acquisition of Dunlop model from Sports activities Direct on Rubber Information, 5 Apr 2017
- Goodyear type 10-Q for quarter ended June 30, 1999, p.28
- “Apollo Tyres sells South African enterprise to Sumitomo Rubber for Rs 340 crore”. Financial Occasions. 2013-05-30. Retrieved 2013-11-02.
- Report, College of Natal, 2002 Archived 2008-09-10 on the Wayback Machine p.37
- Hindu Enterprise On-line, 31 December 2005
- Dunlop Plane Tyres web site
- “Dunlop Aerospace Braking Methods web site”. Archived from the unique on 2004-08-28. Retrieved 2008-03-11.
- Olympia Capital web site Archived 2008-04-12 on the Wayback Machine
- Hevea web site
- Sports activities Direct prospectus, 2007 Archived 2008-09-10 on the Wayback Machine p.147
- Steinhoff Worldwide manufacturers
- Multi-million pound deal saves 250 jobs at Huntingdon manufacturing facility Stephen Waite, Hunts Submit, 2 April 2013
- Dunlopillo web site
- Dunlop Latex Foam web site Archived August 22, 2007, on the Wayback Machine
- Markets and types Grupo Pikolin.
- Dunlop Conveyor Belting web site
- Dunlop Extrusions web site
- Dunlop Fabrications web site
- Dunlop Hiflex web site
- Dunlop Oil & Marine web site
- “Dunlop Rubber Mouldings web site”. Archived from the unique on 2008-04-14. Retrieved 2008-03-11.
- Dunlop Sport web site
- “SRI Sports activities web site”. Archived from the unique on 2008-10-14. Retrieved 2008-10-02.
- “Sports activities Direct web site”. Archived from the unique on 2007-10-22. Retrieved 2008-03-11.