|The necessities to this benefit badge are copyrighted by the Boy Scouts of America. They’re reproduced partially right here underneath truthful use as a useful resource for Scouts and Scouters to make use of within the incomes and educating of benefit badges. The necessities printed by the Boy Scouts of America ought to at all times be used over the checklist right here. If unsure concerning the accuracy of a requirement, seek the advice of your Benefit Badge Counselor.|
|Studying this web page doesn’t fulfill any requirement for any benefit badge. Per Nationwide laws, the one one that might log out on necessities is a Benefit Badge Counselor, duly registered and approved by the native Council. To acquire an inventory of registered Benefit Badge Counselors, or to start a Benefit Badge, please contact your Scoutmaster or Council Service Heart.|
Learn the protection guidelines for metalwork. Talk about the best way to be protected whereas working with steel. Talk about together with your counselor the extra security guidelines that apply to the metalwork possibility you select for requirement 5.
SHEET METAL SAFETY Taking note of what you're doing and carrying the right gear is vital in metalworking. When sheet steel is minimize, a small chip of steel might fly wherever -- presumably into your eye. Sharp edges on steel may cause cuts. Scorching steel may cause painful burns. The principles listed under apply to all 4 metalworking choices. 1. All the time work with direct grownup supervision. 2. All the time put on security goggles or security glasses, leather-based gloves, and a store apron. 3. Deal with sheet steel with care. It could trigger critical cuts. 4. Deal with each minimize instantly, irrespective of how minor. 5. Take away all burrs from the sheet steel earlier than trying additional work on it. 6. Use a brush--not your hands-to clear the work space. 7. Don't run your fingers over the floor of sheet steel that has simply been minimize or drilled. The burrs can minimize. 8. Place scrap items of sheet steel in a scrap field straight away. 9. Don't use instruments that aren't in first-class situation. Keep away from hammers with free handles or chisels with worn or misshapen heads. 10. Use a brush and dustpan to comb the store flooring. Don't depart slivers of steel on the worktable or the store flooring.
SAFETY WITH THE PICKLING TANK If you choose the silversmith possibility to finish your Metalwork benefit badge, you've extra security guidelines to study. Observe these pointers when utilizing the pickling tank, and integral step within the silversmithing course of. 1. All the time use the pickling tank with grownup supervision. 2. All the time put on eye safety, a store apron, and rubber gloves when working with the pickling tank and answer. 3. Use the pickling tank in a well-ventilated area, and don't breathe fumes from the pickling options. 4. By no means pour water into the pickling tank answer; pour the pickling answer into the water. 5. Preserve young children and pets away from the pickling tank. 6. All the time retailer the pickling tank with its lid tightly secured. 7. Plainly mark the contents of the pickling tank.
SAFETY WITH MOLTEN PEWTER If you choose the founder possibility to finish your Metalworking benefit badge, you'll be working with molten pewter. You need to know a couple of extra security guidelines: 1. All the time work with direct grownup supervision. 2. Have no less than one fireplace extinguisher useful when utilizing the melting pot. 3. Place a sheet of steel underneath the steel pot and the mold-pouring space to forestall unintended splatters from burning your worktable. 4. Put on security glasses, leather-based gloves, lengthy pants, boots, and a store apron when pouring steel. Remember to pull your pant legs down excessive of your boots. Don't put on shorts, sandals, or water footwear. 5. Don't set a pouring ladle down with its deal with extending previous the sting of the workbench. 6. Don't put moist or moist steel within the melting pot. Bubbles brought on by escaping steam will trigger the molten steel to splash out the crucible, presumably inflicting painful burns. 7. Don't eat whereas casting steel. 8. All the time wash your fingers after dealing with steel.
SAFETY WITH HOT STEEL If you happen to select the blacksmith possibility to finish your Metalwork benefit badge, you'll be working with orange- or yellow-hot metal. Listed here are some particular guidelines it's essential to observe: 1. All the time work with direct grownup supervision. 2. Have no less than one fireplace extinguisher useful always. 3. Put on security glasses, leather-based gloves, a store apron, lengthy pants, and boots when working in a blacksmith store. Remember to pull your pant legs down over the tops of your boots. Don't put on shorts, sandals, or water footwear. 4. Put sizzling steel in an out-of-the-way place to chill. 5. Use tongs to choose up a dropped object. Though it may not glow, it might nonetheless be 1000 levels.
Outline the phrases native steel, malleable, metallurgy, alloy, nonferrous, and ferrous. Then do the next:
- A. Title two nonferrous alloys utilized by pre-Iron Age metalworkers. Title the metals which might be mixed to kind these alloys.
- B. Title three ferrous alloys utilized by trendy metalworkers.
- C. Describe the best way to work-harden a steel.
- D. Describe the best way to anneal a nonferrous and a ferrous steel.
Do the next:
- A. Work-harden a bit of 26- or 28-gauge sheet brass or sheet copper. Put a 45-degree bend within the steel, then closely peen the world alongside the bend line to work-harden it. Word the quantity of effort that’s required to beat the yield level on this unworked piece of steel.
- B. Soften the work-hardened piece from requirement 3a by annealing it, after which attempt to take away the 45-degree bend. Word the quantity of effort that’s required to beat the yield level.
- C. Make a mood coloration index from a flat piece of metal. Utilizing hand instruments, make and mood a middle punch of medium-carbon or high-carbon metal.
Discover out about three profession alternatives in metalworking. Decide one and discover out the training, coaching, and expertise required for this occupation. Talk about this together with your counselor, and clarify why this occupation may curiosity you.
After finishing the primary 4 necessities, full no less than ONE of the choices listed under.
A. Possibility 1 – Sheet Metallic Mechanic/Tinsmith
- 1. Title and describe using the essential sheet metalworking instruments.
- 2. Create a sketch of two objects to make from sheet steel. Embrace every element’s dimensions in your sketch, which needn’t be to scale.
- 3. Make two objects out of 24- or 26-gauge sheet steel. Use patterns both supplied by your counselor or made by you and permitted by your counselor. Assemble these objects utilizing a steel that’s acceptable to the thing’s final function, and utilizing slicing, bending, edging, and both soldering or brazing.
- a. One object additionally should embrace no less than one riveted element
- b. If you don’t make your objects from zinc-plated sheet metal or tin-plated sheet metal, protect your work from oxidation.
B. Possibility 2 – Silversmith
- 1. Title and describe using a silversmith’s primary instruments.
- 2. Create a sketch of two objects to make from sheet silver. Embrace every element’s dimensions in your sketch, which needn’t be to scale.
- 3. Make two objects out of 18- or 20-gauge sheet copper. Use patterns both supplied by your counselor or made by you and permitted by your counselor. Each objects should embrace a soldered joint. You probably have prior silversmithing expertise, chances are you’ll substitute sterling silver, nickel silver, or lead-free pewter.
- a. At the least one object should embrace a sawed element you’ve made your self.
- b. At the least one object should embrace a sunken half you’ve made your self.
- c. Clear and polish your objects.
C. Possibility 3 – Founder
- 1. Title and describe using the essential elements of a two-piece mildew. Title no less than three several types of molds.
- 2. Create a sketch of two objects to forged in steel. Embrace every element’s dimensions in your sketch, which needn’t be to scale.
- 3. Make two molds, one utilizing a sample supplied by your counselor and one other one you’ve made your self that has been permitted by your counselor. Place the pouring gate and vents your self. Don’t use copyrighted supplies as patterns.
- a. Utilizing lead-free pewter, make a casting utilizing a mildew supplied by your counselor.
- b. Utilizing lead-free pewter, make a casting utilizing the mildew that you’ve made.
D. Possibility 4 – Blacksmith
- 1. Title and describe using a blacksmith’s primary instruments.
- 2. Make a sketch of two objects to hot-forge. Embrace every element’s dimensions in your sketch, which needn’t be to scale.
- 3. Utilizing low–carbon metal no less than 1/4-inch thick, carry out the next workouts:
- a. Draw out by forging a taper.
- b. Use the horn of the anvil by forging a U-shaped bend.
- c. Type an ornamental twist in a bit of sq. metal.
- d. Use the sting of the anvil to bend steel by forging an L-shaped bend.
- 4. Utilizing low-carbon metal no less than 1/4-inch thick, make the 2 objects you sketched that require hot-forging. Make certain you’ve your counselor’s approval earlier than you start.
- a. Embrace an ornamental twist on one object.
- b. Embrace a hammer-riveted joint in a single object.
- c. Protect your work from oxidation.