I walked down the steps in the direction of the breakfast at QO Amsterdam when it occurred. My Samsonite deal with broke. I actually needed to accumulate my suitcase components proper in the midst of the foyer earlier than heading into the breakfast space, apologizing to the breakfast employees. I had had it. I used to be switching to Rimowa. So that is Rimowa: why I paid 800 euros for a suitcase that’s simply dented.
On selecting Rimowa
During the last yr throughout numerous metropolis journeys all all through Europe – from Prague to London, from Madrid to Stockholm and Reykjavik to Brussels, I’d make a behavior out of speaking to Rimowa homeowners on the airport. Within the airplane earlier than take-off, when ready on the gate, even at safety.
I used to be hesitant at first, I’d vacationers, particularly the frequent vacationers that often carry Rimowa suitcases to be hesitant, reluctant, suspicious even. However each single time -to my very own surprise- Rimowa homeowners the place comfortable to share their expertise with the model. If that wasn’t promotion sufficient, every one among them was constructive to even fanatic about their Rimowa. Some would even share tales about their suitcase and level to particular dents (true story).
So for some time now I had set my thoughts on shopping for a Rimowa suitcase. However a 800 euro suitcase (I clearly wished one of many iconic ‘silver’ ones), is sort of the steep worth for merely a field that covers your different gear. So, right here’s how I lastly selected Rimowa.
Why I lastly selected Rimowa
There are a number of the explanation why I made a decision to spend 800 euros on a suitcase. They usually needed to be good ones, as 800 euros is simply an insane sum of money to spend on any piece of substances, not to mention the casing that simply holds the gear:
- Frequency of utilization. Possibly aside from my iPhone and laptop computer, my suitcase is among the gadgets I exploit essentially the most through the week. Whereas I’m penning this submit, I’m making ready for per week that brings me from BRU–AMS–MAD–FRA-MAD-FRA-AMS-ZRH–ATH.
- Inexperienced dwelling. I’ve determined to speculate extra in gear that’s sturdy than shopping for cheaper much less sturdy gear and change it each single time. My record of favourite gear and enterprise gear is a illustration of that.
- Guarantee. 5 years guarantee. Over the previous years I had near 10 Samsonite suitcases. This alone would make me going ‘break-even’ on my Rimowa suitcase: it value me about 800 euros over the past years to have my Samsonite suitcases. This -on a sidenote- additionally triggers me in the best way that I simply would love a suitcase subscription: simply pay x sum of money yearly and all the time have the proper suitcase at hand. However that’s for one more submit, one other time.
- Service. 100 service facilities all over the world (together with within the metropolis middle of Antwerp and Amsterdam which is tremendous handy for me). There are even some 5-star motels the place Rimowa provides repairs earlier than you depart.
- Seems to be. I simply assume they give the impression of being friggin’ wonderful, solely improved over time. As Rimowa places it “Each journey you are taking is uniquely recorded with the inevitable dents and scratches of time”.
What I like in regards to the Rimowa model
Not too long ago, the model has been acquired by LVMH and since then it definitely seems like they’re investing closely within the model. A luxurious pop-up retailer, a brand new emblem and new model supplies. I have a tendency to like extra down-to-earth manufacturers like Icebreaker and even IKEA.
However nonetheless, there are simply so many issues to like. The design, their outstanding service (as highlighted above) and the thought of turning the dents of their iconic suitcases into one thing good slightly than unhealthy, totally in step with omakase considering: “Each journey you are taking is uniquely recorded with the inevitable dents and scratches of time”.
After a couple of months, I had a minor difficulty with my suitcase – a part of the internal lining had let unfastened. On-line service was quick, the instore service even quicker. I immediately obtained a espresso, some water and inside 10 minutes, my suitcase was mounted.
Precisely why I purchased Rimowa over Samsonite.
I suppose there are two good causes to purchase a 800 euro suitcase: you’ve waaaay to a lot cash in your arms (not me) otherwise you journey a lot, that it makes 800 euros a stable funding in journey comfort.
However the mixture of frequency of utilization, my purpose to purchase extra sustainable merchandise, the guarantee, service and appears made it worthwhile for me. I’ll preserve you up to date on my experiences with the product.